New federal program provides long-term broadband benefits
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 – Missoula, MT – Today, Blackfoot Communications announced it is working to help build awareness about the Affordable Connectivity Program, a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program. The new long-term benefit will help to lower the cost of broadband service for eligible households.
The $14 billion Affordable Connectivity Program provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for qualifying households on qualifying Tribal lands.
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines;
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
- Participates in one of several Tribal specific programs, such as Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal Head Start (only households meeting the relevant income qualifying standard) Tribal TANF, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations;
- Is approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income program.
Eligible households can apply and enroll by:
- Visiting ACPBenefit.org to submit an online application or print a mail-in application, then
- Contacting Blackfoot Communications to enroll and select their service plan once their application is approved.
- ACP enrollment: ACPBenefit.org
- Contact Blackfoot Communications: www.blackfootcommunications.com/contact
- May 2021 announcement from Blackfoot Communications: GoBlackfoot.com/EBB
- Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) transition: www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit
- Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP): www.fcc.gov/acp
- ACP – What It Is & How It Works: https://youtu.be/0pkXReo9Kfk